Schoolyard Biodiversity Grant – Spring 2021
PDSB Schools: May 17, 2021
DPCDSB Schools: May 28, 2021
Through the Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow program, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is pleased to offer a Schoolyard Biodiversity Grant to participating classes from Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board (DPCDSB) and Peel District School Board (PDSB).
Schools participating in the Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow program during the 2020-21 school year are invited to apply. This grant provides funding up to $350 (excluding HST) for projects that protect or improve biodiversity in the schoolyard.
Applicants must be from schools/classes that have participated in either the fall or spring session of the Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow program during the 2020-21 school year.
ONE application is accepted per Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow program time slot. For example, multiple classes from the same school that participated on the same date/time should submit one application only.
Applicants must be from Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board (DPCDSB) or Peel District School Board (PDSB) within the Region of Peel.
- Projects that protect or improve schoolyard biodiversity are eligible.
- Projects must be implemented outdoors on school property and must adhere to school board policies and guidelines.
What We Will Fund:
- Eco-friendly trees, shrubs, plants and bulbs for school ground greening projects. (Please refer to the Region of Peel’s Water Smart Peel program for a list of eligible plant material and advice on planning and maintaining your outdoor space.)
- Vegetable, fruit and herb plants and seeds for outdoor food garden projects.
- Planter boxes, tools, topsoil and natural soil amendments such as compost, mulch or woodchips. (Up to 40% of the total budget can be allocated to these items.)
- Materials to build birdboxes, bee condos or other wildlife shelters or feeding spaces.
The application and reporting deadlines vary by school board. Please see the chart below for your school board deadline.
|School Board Application Form||No later than May 17, 2021||No later than May 28, 2021|
|Reporting & Reimbursement Form||No later than June 4, 2021||No later than June 16, 2021|
Steps to Participate:
|Complete and submit the application form by your school board deadline*.|
|Only ONE application will be accepted per Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow program time slot.|
|TRCA will confirm the status of your application within three business days of receipt of submission.|
|Once your project and budget have been approved by TRCA, you may purchase supplies and materials and proceed with your project.
|Upon completion of your project, submit the Report and Reimbursement Form with attached receipts and photos within five business days of undertaking your project but no later than the reporting deadline for your school board.|
|Reimbursements up to $350 (excluding HST) will be provided by TRCA to your school through your Environmental Leaders of Tomorrow school board representative. Only expenses approved by TRCA will be reimbursed.|
*Be sure to consult your school administrator, understand applicable school board policies, and seek any board-level approvals required before submitting your application.